I'm not a huge fan of donuts but I really like these little ones. They are baked rather than deep fried, making them less greasy. Make them small and you'll be reaching for more
1 cup milk ( I like almond milk)
50g dairy free spread
2.5 cups self raising flour*
1 1-2 teaspoon dried yeast
3/4 cup lemon sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Place milk in saucepan and heat until warm. Do not boil. Stir in 1 tablespoon spread.
2. Sift flour into a bowl. Stir in yeast, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Make a well in the centre. Add milk mixture. Mix to form a soft dough.
3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
5. Set aside in a warm place for 1.5 hours or until doubled in size
7. Using your fist, punch dough down.
8. Place on a lightly floured board
9. Knead until smooth and elastic
10. Stretch dough to be 2cm thick
12. Place doughnuts, 5cm apart, on prepared tray. Cover with a tea towel again.
15. Combine remaining lemon sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
16. Brush doughnuts with remaining butter. Dip in sugar mixture, shaking off excess.
17. Serve with your choice of tea or coffee.
*Don't have access to self raising flour like here in Germany? You can use plain flour on it's own of course or add 5 teaspoons of baking powder to the flour and stir well together.