It's a good friend's 40th birthday today so I decided to make him a gift pack of:
- Sourdough bread
- Onion jam
- Red pepper chilli relish
- Pumpkin jam
- Mango and passionfruit cordial
- Cashew fetta cheese
- Cashew goats cheese and chives
I quite like caramelised onions and this recipe is a very popular one in my classes and incorporates my fool proof technique.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 600g of brown onions, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons of red wine/balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Dice onions thinly.
- Heat pan to low heat. Add onions dry. This is the key. Cook them dry, stirring gently as needed so they don't stick. They should brown lightly (see below).
2. Heat olive oil & butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add Heat olive oil, butter, spices and thyme. Cook stirring occasionally on low heat for 35 mins or until golden:
4. Add sugar. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins.
5. Add vinegar & cold water, bring to the boil.
6. Reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 5 mins or until thick.
7. Store in sterilised jars.